“Learning how to focus and prioritize your thoughts effectively based on finely honed personal values is perhaps the greatest and most important struggle in life.”– Mark Manson.
“In a crisis, the inevitable suffering that life entails can rapidly make a mockery of the idea that happiness is the proper pursuit of the individual.”– Jordan B. Peterson
“One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful.”– Sigmund Freud
I’ve always felt that a period of reflection does more for the soul than sitting down to outline any goals for the year. When we take the time to reflect on our values. When we look deeply at how we have failed to live up-to them. I believe it’s through a deeper reflection that we can derive the most insight. It’s from those lessons that the goals we really want to chase after become clear. Those goals becoming, in turn, an expression of those values. An expression of the things that make you feel whole. That make you feel integral.
Something a fellow blogging buddy of mine said in response to my earlier post, The Things That I Will Miss got me thinking. He said – to paraphrase slightly – “It’s not so much the things that I will miss but the things that I have learnt.” And so I thought, as part of my personal end of year review, I’d ask the question to you dear readers:
What are the things that you’ve learnt from this most tumultuous 2020?
To get the ball rolling (and for a bit of fun) I’ve put together the following list. A kind of rough draft taken from a quick look back at what I’ve written this year. It’s far from polished but then again – it’s the holidays! Anyway here you are – 24 Invaluable Lessons From 2020. I hope you enjoy.
- Hope without action is dangerous.
- If you can’t act you must accept.
- Acceptance is something you must practise.
- Honesty is the ultimate form of kindness.
- Honesty has to be the gold standard by which we measure our leaders.
- Protecting our freedoms means protecting the truth.
- The truth is hard. Avoiding it is harder.
- The truth is more important than your emotions.
- Freedom and responsibility are synonymous
- Think as one. Always assume a position of collective responsibility.
- You are either being racist or anti-racist. There is no such thing as “not racist.”
- No black. No white. Only grey.
- We must embrace our demons.
- It’s ok to cry (especially as a man).
- Looking after yourself = looking after others.
- Happiness does not exist without gratitude.
- A question for clarifying motivation: Am I doing this because of love or fear?
- The other side of shame is a better person.
- Better is better than perfect.
- Routine has everything to do with developing a growth mindset.
- Enthusiasm increases intelligence.
- Success is what you alone define.
- Spirituality = Awareness
- Prepare for the worst. Believe in yourself. Expect nothing.
Thanks for Reading Ladies and Gentlemen. I am of course curious, what have you have learnt this year? What would be on your list? As always I welcome ALL thoughts and opinions. Let me finish by saying it’s been an absolute pleasure connecting with all of you this year. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. To each and every one of you – for lifting me up. For making me think. For challenging me. For making me laugh. For everything. You have been a life line for me. I wish you all an infinitely brighter 2021. AP2 X